These 3 acupuncture points have many uses and can be stimulated or massaged (instead of using acupuncture needles) on a daily basis for health maintenance.
When using acupressure:
Set aside several minutes.
Sit or lie down in a comfortable position.
Relax, close your eyes, and breathe deeply.
Use firm, deep pressure in a small rotating or up-and-down movement.
1. GB34 or Gallbladder 34 ~LIVER and TENDONS STRENGTHENING POINT
This point is located on the outer aspect of the lower leg, in the depression in front of and below the head of the fibula. Massage and stimulate the area for 2-3 minutes.
Increases functioning of the liver and gallbladder. gallbladder smooth muscle contractibility and bile secretion. (1).
Used to treat liver disease, fatty liver, jaundice, hepatitis, acute biliary tract diseases, cirrhosis of the liver. (2).
Has neuroprotective effects (protects the brain) and also helps with neurodegenerative disorders, such as Parkinson’s disease. Activates certain brain regions such as the Prefrontal Cortex, precentral gyrus, and putamen . (3).
Assists with stroke recovery. (4).
Pain and injuries (Any problem related to the Tendons and ligaments).(5)
1. Zhao, J., Yu, Y., Luo, M. et al. Bi-directional regulation of acupuncture on extrahepatic biliary system: An approach in guinea pigs. Sci Rep 7, 14066 (2017). https://doi.org/10.1038/s41598-017-14482-x
2. World J Gastroenterol. 2006 Apr 14; 12(14): 2245–2249. Hepatoprotective effect of manual acupuncture at acupoint GB34 against CCl4-induced chronic liver damage in rats. Yun-Kyoung Yim, Hyun Lee, Kwon-Eui Hong, Young-Il Kim, Byung-Ryul Lee, Tae-Han Kim, and Ji-Young Yi
3. Yeo, S., Choe, I., van den Noort, M. et al. Acupuncture on GB34 activates the precentral gyrus and prefrontal cortex in Parkinson’s disease. BMC Complement Altern Med 14, 336 (2014). https://doi.org/10.1186/1472-6882-14-336
4. Front. Hum. Neurosci., 10 April 2017 | https://doi.org/10.3389/fnhum.2017.00178. Enhanced Functional Connectivity between the Bilateral Primary Motor Cortices after Acupuncture at Yanglingquan (GB34) in Right-Hemispheric Subcortical Stroke Patients: A Resting-State fMRI Study. Yanzhe Ning1†, Kuangshi Li2†, Caihong Fu1, Yi Ren1, Yong Zhang1, Hongwei Liu1, Fangyuan Cui1* and Yihuai Zou1,3*
5. Young. Kevin. Journal of Chinese Medicine • Number 78 • June 2005. Sports Injuries and TCM.
2. ST 36 or Stomach 36 ~ LONG LIFE POINT
located four finger widths down from the bottom of your knee cap, along the outer boundary of your shin bone. Apply downward pressure on the muscle, stimulating the area for 2-3 minutes.
Boosts energy levels (by increasing nitric oxide production - a signaling molecule that increase blood circulation and blood flow) (1).
Referred to as “the long life point”. In traditional Chinese literature and practice, this point is frequently stimulated for health promotion and longevity. has been shown to affect the limbic and paralimbic systems in the brain which may affect the body’s response to stress. (2)
Aids in digestion and soothes digestive complaints. One of the most commonly used acupoints in Chinese medicine for diseases of spleen-stomach, and hence it is often applied to treat digestive system disease such as vomiting, diarrhea, colitis, dyspepsia, etc. (3, 4).
Journal of Acupuncture and Meridian Studies. Volume 1, Issue 1, September 2008, Pages 42-50. A Neurovascular Transmission Model for Acupuncture-induced Nitric Oxide. Sheng-Hsiung, HsiaoaLi-JenTsaib.
Tian, Yuan MD; Hu, Hengchang MS; Zhang, Yuan MD; Zhou, Linyue MD; Wang, Lizhen MD; Xie, Chunguang MD∗ Zusanli (ST36) acupoint injection for acute diarrhea in children under 5 years old, Medicine: August 2019 - Volume 98 - Issue 34 - p e16949 doi: 10.1097/MD.0000000000016949
Pavão TS, Vianna P, Pillat MM, Machado AB, Bauer ME. Acupuncture is effective to attenuate stress and stimulate lymphocyte proliferation in the elderly. Neurosci Lett. 2010 Oct 22;484(1):47-50. doi: 10.1016/j.neulet.2010.08.016. Epub 2010 Aug 13. PMID: 20709154.
Tian Y, Hu H, Zhang Y, Zhou L, Wang L, Xie C. Zusanli (ST36) acupoint injection for acute diarrhea in children under 5 years old: A protocol of systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized clinical trials. Medicine (Baltimore). 2019;98(34):e16949. doi:10.1097/MD.000000000001694.
3. LR 3 Or Liver 3 ~ MIND | BODY | SPIRIT POINT
Whether you’re feeling stuck physically, mentally, or emotionally, stimulation of this point can offer that movement and provide calm. The body often tenses when you feel angry or frustrated. This rigidity does not allow for smooth flow of circulation or blood. The tension results in a number of symptoms arising and can vary from person to person.
located on top of the foot between the big toe and the second toe, in the depression before your finger touches the bone (metatarsal joint).
Stabilizes the mood (relives Anxiety, frustration and depression) (1). (2)
Menstrual issues (painful periods) (3)
Headaches and migraines (4)
1. Kafaei-Atrian M, Mirbagher-Ajorpaz N, Sarvieh M, Sadat Z, Asghari-Jafarabadi M, Solhi M. The effect of acupressure at third liver point on the anxiety level in patients with primary dysmenorrhea. Iran J Nurs Midwifery Res. 2016;21(2):142-146. doi:10.4103/1735-9066.178233
2. Journal of Traditional Chinese Medicine. Volume 36, Issue 2, April 2016, Pages 151-159. Curative effect of acupuncture on quality of life in patient with depression: a clinical randomized single-blind placebo-controlled study. FanLinga, FuWenbinbi, ChenZhaoc, XuNengguid, Liu JianhuabiL, ¨Ai pinge, Li Zipingbi, Su Shengyong, Wu Taixiangg, Ou Aihuah.
3. World Journal of Acupuncture – Moxibustion. Volume 28, Issue 3, September 2018, Pages 225-227. Acupuncture at Tàichong ¯ ( LR 3) for dysmenorrhea. ABDURACHMANa,b,∗ , Krisnawan Andy PRADANAb,c , HAMZAHd, Hendy HENDARTOe
4. MILITARY MEDICINE, 174, 12:1276, 2009. The Effectiveness of Acupuncture for Chronic Daily Headache: An Outcomes Study. Sharon Plank, MD, LAc; Janet Goodard, RN, BSN, CCRC, CCAP.
Squamish Acupuncture and Holistic Nutrition
Monita Triplett RA.c, RHN